Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Favorite Nora Ephron Quotations


In memory of Nora Ephron, an American filmmaker, director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, playwright, journalist, author, and blogger, I would like to share just a few of my favorite Nora Ephron quotations. It was hard to choose my favorites because there are so many that I love!

“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”

“Reading is one of the main things I do. Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel I've accomplished something, learned something, become a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on. Reading is the unbelievably healthy way my attention deficit disorder medicates itself. Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss.”

“In my sex fantasy, nobody ever loves me for my mind.”

                                                                         

“And then the dreams break into a million tiny pieces. The dream dies. Which leaves you with a choice: you can settle for reality, or you can go off, like a fool, and dream another dream.”

“I have no desire to be dominated. Honestly I don't. And yet I find myself becoming angry when I'm not.”

“I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.”

“Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.”

“The desire to get married is a basic and primal instinct in women. It's followed by another basic and primal instinct: the desire to be single again.”

“I don’t care who you are. When you sit down to write the first page of your screenplay, in your head, you’re also writing your Oscar acceptance speech.”

“My mother was a good recreational cook, but what she basically believed about cooking was that if you worked hard and prospered, someone else would do it for you.”


                                                                        

4 comments:

  1. I was really pleased and touched at the sentiment she evoked on her passing. I'd never read an interview with her, but many people tweeted quotes by her, many of which made me smile or gave me pause for thought, like yours have done : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was touched as well. She was brilliant in so many ways and there are so many good quotes from all of her books and films! Glad you enjoyed these, and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. The dreamer's quote.... this could be said of my foolish life, yet, without regret. Appreciate the post. Thanks Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't way I know Nora Ephron work well, however this quotes are perfect for reflection.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete